Consult with ISA-Certified Arborists in the San Diego Area
The trees on your San Diego area property are constantly under threat from several insects and pests. If left untreated, an infestation can ruin your landscape, bringing down the value and appeal of your residential or commercial property. The ISA-certified arborists at Rancho Coastal are experts at pest control as well as disease prevention and treatment. We can protect your trees from these 7 common tree pests found in the San Diego area.
Overview of 7 Common Tree Pests
In recent years, the San Diego area has seen a massive influx of certain invasive tree insects and pests. Here are the most common ones you need to watch out for:
- Shothole Borer (Ambrosia Beetle): Mining the inner bark of branches and tree trunks, these invasive pests routinely affect stressed, under-watered trees, usually the fruit-bearing and ornamental ones. Signs such as dry or oily dark stains, discolored trunk or leaves, or wilted and dried branches may indicate the presence of these beetles. They may also spring a leak and start a flow of tree sap in certain trees. Keeping your trees well-nourished and hydrated will make them less susceptible to these pests.
- Asian Citrus Psyllid: Causing the devastating citrus green disease (also called huanglongbing, or HLB), these tiny critters travel quickly from leaf to leaf, and tree to tree. If you see entire branches of your citrus trees showing blotchy yellow leaves, they may indicate a psyllid infestation. Prevent the spread of HLB by fertilizing your trees and removing the infected ones that are beyond recovery.
- Tree Boring Caterpillars: Developing within the wood, crowns or buds of plants, these insects can cause major damage to the rest of the tree. They disturb shoot growth, bore holes in the trunks, and weaken the branches of your healthy trees.
- Spider Mites: Whether it is brown mites, red mites, or six-spotted mites, these almost-microscopic insects cause many issues once they infect a tree. From stippling on leaves, to distorting the shoot or bud growth, spider mites can severely impact your trees, making them unhealthy and unattractive.
- Hoppers and Spittlebugs: Stippling or discolored leaves or drops of sticky excrement on the leaves and branches could be an indication of a hopper or spittlebug infestation. These pests feed by sucking the plant juices, making your trees weak and vulnerable to other pests and insects.
- Thrips: Tiny insects with piercing mouthparts and fringed wings, thrips feed by sucking plant sap. Leaf curling and distortion, leaf bleaching or leaf stippling are the common signs of a thrip infestation.
- Scale: Scale are largely immobile creatures that do not have wings or heads. While some species of scale excrete a sticky, honeydew like substance, others just appear as shell-like bumps on stems and the underside of leaves. An infestation will negatively impact the growth of your trees.
Comprehensive Tree Pest Control for Healthy, Flourishing Landscapes
At Rancho Coastal, we specialize in identifying and controlling tree pests and diseases before they damage your trees beyond repair. Trust our ISA-certified arborists to nourish your trees back to health, remove irreparable trees, and prevent future infestations. Our tree pest and disease control measures are environment-friendly and long-lasting.
As a licensed, bonded and fully insured tree service company, we have been serving the tree care needs of properties across the San Diego area, including Coronado, Del Mar, La Jolla, Pacific Beach and Rancho Santa Fe, CA.
For professional tree pest control and management in the San Diego area, call Rancho Coastal at 619-847-4225, or contact us online to request a free quote.